Modern Home Renovation Tamaki Stirling Auckland


How Do I Know If I Have A Leaky Home?

Sometimes you can see visible signs of moisture damage like a crack in the plaster or water marks on your plaster or internal paint. Unfortunately many “leaky homes” show no signs of moisture related issues or leaks until the damage is substantial.

The Building Act was amended in 2004 requiring a cavity for most claddings, so any plaster home built before then should be professionally checked for moisture related issues and leaks.

How Much Will It Cost To Re-Clad My Home?

It is difficult to estimate without seeing your home as every project is different and the costs will vary depending on the requirements. The key areas that we have to look at when determining cost include:
– The size and level of complexity of the project
– Site access (i.e. is the house on a step site requiring extensive scaffolding).
– How much damage has been sustained and extent of repair work required
– Are there any additional renovations, alterations etc that need to be done at the same time?
– How much redecoration work is required
(i.e. damage to more costly areas in the house like kitchens and bathrooms or whether a full interior repaint is required etc)
– Does your house require new joinery? (door and/or window joinery)
– In our experience, the re-cladding costs for a stand-alone mid-sized (3-4 bedroom) house fall into the following ranges:-
– Remedial Design is usually between $5,000 – $10,000
– Building Consents cost around $4,000 – $6,000
– Building Consultant: $2000 – $3,000
– Building Work: $150,000 – $300,000
– For a specific quote or estimation for your home, simply give Tom a call on 0800 777 977.

How Long Does It Take To Reclad A House?

Approximately 6-12 weeks. For a particularly large home this can be longer.

What Are The Benefits Of A Fully Re-Clad?

There are many benefits to re-cladding your entire house;

A full reclad will ensure your home complies with current Building Code requirements
If you undertake a full reclad under a new Building Consent, this will provide you with a new Code Compliance Certificate issued in respect of the building repair work.
The most effective way to ensure all problematic or suspect areas have been exposed and a proper repair completed is to do a full reclad.

Once the existing cladding is removed, the timber structure beneath can then be surface treated against rot and decay (many houses constructed between 1997 and 2003 were built using untreated timber framing).
A full reclad will likely re-establish the value in your property (possibly even increase the value) and will make it more appealing to potential buyers.

So What Is Involved In Recladding My Home?

Weather Protection and Scaffolding:

We erect scaffolding to give our builders access to the exterior cladding and then we wrap the house, to ensure weather protection. This keeps your house dry whilst the building work is being done.

We sometimes remove the cladding in stages, sometimes all at once, depending on what each particular project requires. Joinery that is deemed sound can be safely stored and then reused in the building stage, or new double glazed joinery can be provided.

Once we have removed the cladding, we notify local Council and independent framing inspectors and organize an inspection which then determines what next steps need to be taken to ensure the timber framing is fit for purpose. Inspectors look for the level of treatment to the existing timber framing, moisture levels and any rot or decay present.

The most complicated and time consuming part of the process is the actual repair and re cladding. We remove and replace any rotten timber and other building materials that are damaged. Any design flaws are also corrected at this time and new cladding is put on the house, as per Building Code requirements. The level of quality is the most important part of the whole process and Resolution Projects can guarantee their quality second to none. Our process ensures that the house will not leak in the future.

Do We Have To Move Out Of The House During The Reclad Process?

This depends on the level of recladding required and where it needs to be done. As a general rule, the building will be without cladding, insulation and windows for a period during the work. Every project is different. We can discuss the options available to with regard to your specific project and situation.

Do I Need A Building Consent To Reclad My Home?

Yes, absolutely.

It is advisable to not start any cladding removal or recladding without first having been issued a building consent. The Council will issue you with a stop-work notice and will then require you to obtain all of the necessary consents before the work is able to continue.

It takes several months (up to 4) to get working drawings completed and to obtain a building consent and during that time the building work would be on-hold, potentially leaving your home without cladding in some places.

At What Point Do I Need To Involve A Builder?

Some builders will only want to talk to you once you have “working drawings”. At Resolution Projects, we can assist you from the very beginning and can offer you a complete service from design, consent through to build. We prefer to develop the working drawings ourselves, as it gives us control over the design process and ensures that the construction method used is industry best practice.

As we understand all the costs associated with building, recladding or targeted repairs and operate a complete team from architectural designer through to builder, we can help save our clients tens of thousands of dollars. We do this through advising on design and materials to achieve the look and feel you want within your budget and can offer provide accurate costings and options for any renovation or remedial build.

Contract Agreements

Resolution Projects offers our clients flexible contracts that allow one contract for all the work required as well as allowing you to deal with any specific tradesman as you wish

What Insurances Are Required For My Building Project?

Any reputable builder will take out a “Public Liability” insurance and a “Contractors All Risk” insurance. As the home owner, you will need to secure a Construction All Risk Insurance policy. We will advise you on this when the time comes.

How Can I Keep The Building Project Within Our Budget?

The only way to keep your project within your budget is to enter into a full contract, fixed price agreement with your builder. Discuss all the PC Sums and work out if you are likely to spend more on these items than what the builder has allowed, for example kitchens and carpets can vary hugely depending on what you want.

Some of the extra costs to the home owner that can be over looked as are generally not included in a quote are: landscaping and lawns, washing lines, letter boxes, curtains and blinds.

How Do I Get Started?

Simply call Tom on 0800 777 977 or 021 307 611 or send Tom an email at [email protected]

If The Treated Timber Was Used To Build My Home, Shouldn’t The House Be OK?

Treated timber will last a little longer than untreated timber until it rots. Over an extended period of time treated timber can still rot when exposed to moisture. If you are unsure whether there are issues present, call us on 0800 777 977 to arrange a for a no obligation assessment of your home.

I Don’t Have A Code Of Compliance For My Home, What Can I Do?

Contact Tom on 0800 777 977 or 021 307 611 and he will take you through the required steps.

Are There Health Risks To Living In A Leaky Home?

Yes definitely. There is a wealth of information on the internet and articles on this issue. For more information, call Resolution Projects or visit www.building.govt.nz

Are There Any Structural Risks If My House Is Leaking But Isn’t Repaired?

Structural risks can pose a serious issue if a leak goes undetected and timber begins to rot. Load points within your wall framing can be weakened by the rot resulting in an unsafe dwelling. As the moisture damage and rot spreads, so does the cost to repair.

Who Is Responsible For My Leaky Home?

The homeowner is responsible for maintaining the safety and integrity of the house, however, there are a number of issues that are responsible for “leaky homes”. Some of these include building products used, poor workmanship, design and fine detailing that has been overlooked at the time of construction.

Are There Other Leaky Home Owners I Can Talk To?

Yes, absolutely, just give Tom a call on 0800 777 977 or 021 307 611 and he will give you some referrals to speak with.

How Can I Claim The Cost Of Repairs For My Leaky Home

If your home was built within the last 10 years, you are likely to be eligible to put a claim into the WHRS (Weathertight Homes Resolution Service), for the cost of repairs. The costs are then claimed through various methods like the Disputes Tribunal and High Court.
For further information about claiming the costs call Tom on 021 307 611 anytime for advice.